[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why I don't use Dylan

In article <8jehcr$5ul$1@bob.news.rcn.net>,
  "Timothy Guimond" <tguimond@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
> a look. Free evaluations allow you to try before you buy and if you
> don't like it, remove it and move on.
>
> Give it another look.

The problem is the 30-day limit.  I only have a small amount of spare
time per week.  I have to wait till sometime in the future when I have
30 days of free time.

I also want to evalutate other languages, such as OCaml.  I will
probably start that soon, but have no idea how long I will continue
with it.  I have a hunch that I will probably end up still using
Smalltalk for the foreseeable future, because it keeps improving and
becoming more popular.

When ParcPlace/ObjectShare had financial problems, they sold their main
Smalltalk product, VisualWorks, for less than $1 million.  If the same
thing happens to Functional Objects, I doubt they could even get that
much, because VisualWorks was a proven product with a well-established
market.  What if some company such as Sun buys F.D. for a bargain
price, and uses it for internal research only, like they did with Self?

I've already invested a lot of time into Smalltalk, which seems like a
good investment.  But common sense tells me Dylan is not the same kind
of investment at all.  I do want to get involved with Dylan, when I
have time, but I don't think I should delude myself into thinking it
will be anything but a hobby for me.  Meanwhile Smalltalk is how I earn
my living, and I have to give it a lot more respect and attention than
it probably deserves, at the expense of other possibly more interesting
languages such as OCaml and Dylan.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Follow-Ups: References: