[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why I don't use Dylan

tejavu@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <8jehcr$5ul$1@bob.news.rcn.net>,
>   "Timothy Guimond" <tguimond@ma.ultranet.com> wrote:
> > a look. Free evaluations allow you to try before you buy and if you
> > don't like it, remove it and move on.
> >
> > Give it another look.
>
> The problem is the 30-day limit.  I only have a small amount of spare
> time per week.  I have to wait till sometime in the future when I have
> 30 days of free time.

Second! Demo versions should be limited by the number of uses, not the
number of days.  I keep never seeing that I will have enough free time in
the next period to do a proper evaluation, so I never get around to
installing the downloads.

The last time I bought Dylan I eventually gave up on the macro syntax.  I
never did get the dialog to display, though I followed the example
exactly.  Presumably things have been fixed since then, but now I'm mainly
looking at other languages (and Harlequin has "spun off" it's Dylan
compiler).  Python, Ruby, Ada95 ...  If I could blend Ruby and Ada95....
Dylan remains very interesting, but FO Dylan is limited to Windows, and I
would prefer to move to Linux.  I don't know how compatible FO Dylan is to
gwydion (or what state gwydion is currently in).  Etc.

Limited time.  Lots of choices.  A lot of what I need to do involves screen
design, databases, and printing reports.  If it weren't for MS and VB, then
Access would be the obvious choice, but Basic is still a horrible language,
and MS changes the file formats incompatibly between every version.  And
the errors!  So I really want out of the entire MS system.  (Not to mention
UCITA, and what *THAT* implies, or that MS is one of its big supporters,
and what THAT implies.)
Warning
Could not process part with given Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="charleshixsn.vcf"

Follow-Ups: References: