[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: icons...again

In article <8mvue6$qlq$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, tim_nz@my-deja.com wrote:

> ok,I downloaded your icon-play project. when i go
> to compile i get a build error saying that the
> applicaiton "rc" cannot be found.

That'll be the Microsoft "resource compiler", I guess.  Hopefully it's
available for download, otherwise it comes with DevStudio.

> Also, didn't realise i needed a resource file
> (sigh...this is my first time at building gui
> software)

It sucks on Windows.  Much, much easier and more integrated on the Mac
or NeXT.  But if Windows is what you have...

Several years ago I spent *ages* battling with Windows to try to get the
client-specified 8-bit icons to show up with all 256 colours in tree
views and dialogs -- they were all somehow being converted to the
standard 16 colours, apparently on being read. I was *sure* I was doing
everything correctly according to the Win32 API.  I asked about it on
usenet, and searched dejanews and found literally dozens of people who
had come across the same problem in the previous two years.  Emailing
them showed that none of themhad ever solved it.  then, eventually, I
got email from one guy who had found an obscure technical note burined
in the MS knowledgebase that basically said (in other words) "it doesn't
work, here's the 600 lines of code that you need to open and parse icons
from the program resources, and copy them into a deeper pixmap".

I have plenty of other Windows war stories, but this one's about icons...

-- Bruce