[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Status of unix port of Functional Developer

Gareth J Baker wrote:
> If memory serves me correctly - some of the early documentation that came
> with the first betas of Harlequin Dylan showed screen shots of both Windows
> and Unix flavours (certainly of DUIM). This would indicate that, at least at
> this very early stage, there were at least internal unix builds.

 [caveat I wasn't personally inside the Harlequin during development
   but educated speculation follows... ]

 I strongly suspect that those may have been the "pre-bootstrap" Dylan
 implementation, not what eventually become "Harlequin Dylan".

 [ The chicken and the egg problem.  If Harlequin Dylan is written in
   Dylan what was the first Harlequin Dylan compiler compiled with?
   Secondly, would you want to wait for a stable "Harlequin Dylan"
   product before you started writing the libraries?  Especially
   when you use those libraries to create the product. :-)

   Likewise, the CMU folks did Mindy before g2c.

  ]

 I think the screw up was that those screenshots from the "in progress",
 internal documentation eventually didn't get updated upon product
 release.  Not that there was a Unix version of the final product that
 was being held back.

Lyman