[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Evidence that Functional Objects is real?

Hi,
  I just wanted to say a few things about FO's efforts. First off,
I've
been interested in dylan since 94 when it was still at Apple. The
designers
put a lot of thought into the language and made it one of the best
conceptual
langauges I have seen. Other langauges are still trying to adopt
features
dylan had long ago. I don't want to spend too much time talking
about why
dylan didn't take over the world if it is so good, but needless to
say, it
has not enjoyed the market success that other languages have. i
mean, it's
an Apple product, right ;)
  In the years since I became interested, dylan has been on it's
death bed
more than once. Apple dropped their implementation at the TR level,
which
made it difficult to do any serious coding on it (exception to those
who
worked on the ray tracer). The open source version was all but
abandoned
after the fine people at CMU decided to drop development on d2c,
once the
2.0 version was done. Harlequin was having trouble getting their
implementation out the door. What saved dylan was the efforts of
people who
just love the language. These are mostly volunteers from the open
source side
and brave souls from the FO side.
   Starting a company is expensive, especially in a market dominated
by
titans like Microsoft and Sun (C#, asp, java) or free products like
perl,
php, python, etc. Functional Objects is in a tough market. The
employees
work very hard and have very limited resources. This means they
can't spend
tons of money on web site development, or hire someone to take care
of their
site full time. While this may detract from the business, the
important parts
are the devlopment tools that they let you download for free to evaluate.
   Lastly, I think it is important to realize that the open source
effort
and the FO effort are fairly coordinated. Both groups want dylan
code to be
portable between the implementations. Once this is fully realized,
dylan
will be able to run on Windows, Mac, MacOSX, Darwin, LinuxPPC, Linux
X86,
*BSD, HPUX, and a variety of other platforms. So you will have a lot
of
flexibility in the language and in the tools you choose. Basically,
developing in dylan would not be a wasted effort and you gain many
advantages - today.

james