[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mac OS X presents an opportunity for Dylan

Raffael Cavallaro <raffael@mediaone.net> wrote:

> On 11/30/00 8:45 PM, the artist formerly known as Michael Schuerig,
> (schuerig@acm.org), issued a press release stating:
>
> > It might be possible to adapt Cocoa to Dylan. I doubt that it'd feel
> > natural.
>
> Well, if you adopt a single inheritance hierarcy that mirrors the NeXT
> frameworks, and simply map the instance methods to Dylan generic functions,
> why wouldn't it work?

It would work. Okay, I take back the "for technical reasons". As the
frameworks can be used from a lesser language, such as Java, there is a
way to use them from Dylan. In effect you'd have to write ObjC code in
Dylan.

> You could certainly go farther, and create a Dylan
> framwork that wrapped/called the NeXT frameworks, or even build a version of
> DUIM on top of Cocoa/NeXT.

The point of Cocoa (well, the AppKit) is that it facilitates
constructing the UI and wiring it to the "model" in InterfaceBuilder.
If the same could be done with a builder tool that works with DUIM then
that's fine, but then it doesn't that DUIM might be implemented on top
of Cocoa.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig