[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Using Dylan for a Commercial Server

In article <87k89abawv.fsf@teonanacatl.andreas.org>,
  Andreas Bogk <andreas@andreas.org> wrote:
> Mike Roberts <zoarre@my-deja.com> writes:
>
> Obviously, you need to store some game state. You'll probably want
> transactions too, which most likely means an SQL database. Fun-O
> offers a ready-made ODBC interface. For Gwydion Dylan, an interface
> can be generated from the C headers for an arbitrary database, which
> is a little more work, but possible.

i'm told that odbc doesn't provide what we need, so we'll probably be
wrapping a C library anyhow.

> Functional Developer is really leading in terms of features you will
> need, it's only drawback is that it runs on Windows. For a server
> project like that, you really want a stable OS.

actually, solaris was our first choice, but after having difficulty
getting an initial response from their sales group, we were unable to
work out a suitable agreement with them in the short time that we had
left.

--
Mike Roberts
Developer, Artifact Entertainment