[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dynamically loading DLL's

In article <nbC_5.2027$yF.584820@news.uswest.net>,
  "Shawn" <shawn@anarchy-arts.com> wrote:
>         Thank you very much for that information. Does this only work
with a
> library created using the C language then or can a library created
with C++
> be used as well, I was under the impression that only C libraries
could be
> linked as libs via the FO IDE, not other languages. If another
language
> (C++) DLL was created it could be loaded as stated in your message ?
>
> Shawn

If someone creates a C++ DLL in the way Microsoft wants us to do it,
then it will be a COM server. You can write COM clients (and also
servers) with the Fun'O COM/Ole package.

If you have a plain DLL written in C++, then you can use this from
Fun'O Dylan via C-FFI in the same way as you could use it from pure C.

You will have to write some glue code. The names of the entry points of
the DLL contain the name of the function and information about the
types of the arguments (that's necessary due to overloading). You can
see the exported names in QuickView. If the DLL contains classes, you
should write wrapper classes in Dylan to use them.

May be somebody wrote a generator for this glue code - if not, it
should be done.

---
Helmut

Sent via Deja.com