[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Any applications coded in Dylan?

In article <slrn96fbia.jr8.hs@paradise.nirvananet>,
  hs@paradise.nirvananet (Hartmann Schaffer) wrote:
> In article <3A678F8F.D2CF4AD1@startup.com>, Norton Greenfeld wrote:
> >goal would be a clear statement of usefulness from a recognizable
> >enterprise ("we couldn'a done it without Dylan").
>
> since most languages are turing complete, you will have no
> luck finding any
> problem that fits the description.  the only thing that you can
> hope to
> demonstrate is that dylan is more costefficient (productivity
> inducing) in the long run.

Mr. Greenfeld probably didn't mean the statement "We couldn't have done
it without Dylan" in a technical or even scientific sense, but in a
practical sense as "We couldn't have done it within the commercial
constraints which are prevailing within our environment", don't you
think so?

> given the fact that it will take some startup cost
> to arrive
> at this long run saving, i am not too hopeful giving the typical
> management mindset

Why do you think that managers don't know that they have to invest,
before they gain? Only the relation between investment and return of
investment must be ok, and the amount of time in between. I'm quite
confident that are must be projects which can prove this for the use
of Dylan.

--
Helmut

Sent via Deja.com