[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Any applications coded in Dylan?

Helmut got the right sense of my posting. For this discussion's purpose
I'm taking a practical point of view, not a theoretical one. Starting a
company requires resources that are difficult to acquire, and real-life
examples of use are more persuasive. The past is littered with
theoretically "better" methods that languished. (and I love some of them
too.)

Norton Greenfeld

In article <949jfq$e8q$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Helmut Enck-Radana <parher@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <slrn96fbia.jr8.hs@paradise.nirvananet>,
>   hs@paradise.nirvananet (Hartmann Schaffer) wrote:
> > In article <3A678F8F.D2CF4AD1@startup.com>, Norton Greenfeld wrote:
> > >goal would be a clear statement of usefulness from a recognizable
> > >enterprise ("we couldn'a done it without Dylan").
> >
> > since most languages are turing complete, you will have no
> > luck finding any
> > problem that fits the description.  the only thing that you can
> > hope to
> > demonstrate is that dylan is more costefficient (productivity
> > inducing) in the long run.
>
> Mr. Greenfeld probably didn't mean the statement "We couldn't have
done
> it without Dylan" in a technical or even scientific sense, but in a
> practical sense as "We couldn't have done it within the commercial
> constraints which are prevailing within our environment", don't you
> think so?
>
> > given the fact that it will take some startup cost
> > to arrive
> > at this long run saving, i am not too hopeful giving the typical
> > management mindset
>
> Why do you think that managers don't know that they have to invest,
> before they gain? Only the relation between investment and return of
> investment must be ok, and the amount of time in between. I'm quite
> confident that are must be projects which can prove this for the use
> of Dylan.
>
> --
> Helmut
>
> Sent via Deja.com