[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Good book on Dylan?

"Bruce Hoult" <bruce@hoult.org> wrote in message
bruce-5C6856.12390930032001@news.nzl.ihugultra.co.nz">news:bruce-5C6856.12390930032001@news.nzl.ihugultra.co.nz...
> In article <GQPw6.3041$Ph.129089@stones>, "Mark Jordan"
> <mark_jordan@nospam.ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm an advanced C++ programmer looking at getting into
> > Dylan. This language looks fantastic, it has pretty much
> > everything on my "gotta have" checklist!
>
> Cool.
>
> Which implementation are you using?

None yet, I like to have a vague clue as to what I'm doing
before I do it.  Man, I can't get over how quiet it is around
here! Bit like good old NZ eh :-)

I plan to download the Functional Objects stuff at work and
burn a CD to try at home.

> > Can anyone recommend a good Dylan book to read over the
> > holidays? Hopefully it would have some introductory material
> > as well as some more advanced chapters.
>
> There is basically one at this point:
>
>   Dylan Programming: An object-oriented and dynamic language
>   Feinberg, Keene, Mathews & Withington
>   Addison-Wesley 1997
>   ISBN 0-201-47976-1
>

> Fortunately it's a good one :-)

Would you believe that I visited 5 awesome bookshops in Cambridge
(UK) and not one of them had a single book on Dylan!  They had everything
else though, even one on Occam which I thought was ancient history.

It's no wonder that it's so quiet around here, nobody even knows that
Dylan exists! I'm beginning to wonder if there's some fatal flaw I haven't
spotted yet...

I somehow got sidetracked and bought a book on pattern recognition
using wavelets instead :-)   Oh well, I'll have to postpone my Dylan
purchase for a bit, no time to order it now as I'm running to catch my
flight as it is...

Thanks,
Mark.

Follow-Ups: References: