[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Proxy objects [was: Re: [Q]Why are all classes rooted by <object>]

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 12:30:02 -0400 (EDT), Hugh Greene
<q@tardis.ed.ac.maps.uk> wrote:

> This should probably be in a Dylan FAQ if it isn't already.

Agreed. See my old posting for alternatives.

> It looks like
> SmallTalk is the only "well-known" language which does sufficiently pure
> message-passing OO to make this possible.

FTR Common Lisp has methods like SLOT-MISSING and SLOT-UNBOUND which the
user can override but they are for more specialized cases.

>  In Dylan you have to do pretty
> much the same as in C++/Java/etc.: write a wrapper class with a bunch of
> "forwarding" methods.  You could potentially make it easier to create
> those methods by using macros, which would be especially useful if you're
> creating many such classes, but it's still the same idea.

I think it is probably easier to write a proxy mixin.

__Jason