[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Closures

Bruce Hoult <bruce@hoult.org> writes:
>What languages have you used previously?  You can do exactly the same
>thing in many languages, including Lisp, Scheme, Perl, and I think,
>recently, Python.

No, not in Python (lexically surrounding scopes are accessible but immutable
for some reason). This is partly because of Python's odd mutation-inducing
binding dogma, but a real annoyance nonetheless.

ObDylan: Is there any Dylan implementation with a GC good enough for
*soft* real-time use (soft as for real-time games, not nuclear power
plant control)? I suspect any incremental or generational GC would do,
but I'm not convinced that a stop-the-world GC (as most conservative
ones seem to be) wouldn't disturb the smoothness of gameplay.

Follow-Ups: References: