[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Closures

Mattias Engdegård f91-men@nada.kth.se on  2001-08-09 05:30 wrote:

[...]

> ObDylan: Is there any Dylan implementation with a GC good enough for
> *soft* real-time use (soft as for real-time games, not nuclear power
> plant control)? I suspect any incremental or generational GC would do,
> but I'm not convinced that a stop-the-world GC (as most conservative
> ones seem to be) wouldn't disturb the smoothness of gameplay.

Functional-Objects Dylan has an incremental, generational, mostly-copying
GC.  The longest pause time is probably due to conservatively scanning the
stack(s) atomically, although objects are copied atomically, so a really
large object could screw you.  There is a provision for manually managing
such large objects in the GC, but I don't recall if it exposed to the
programmer.

But I am not sure that a stop-the-world generational GC is so bad either:
with today's machine speeds, you can do a surprising amount of work in a
time imperceptible to humans...