[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Status of Dylan on MacOS X

In article <200110200331.XAA12793@life.ai.mit.edu>, Raffael Cavallaro
<raffael@mediaone.net> wrote:

> On Friday, October 19, 2001, at 08:30 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
>

> >> 2. Apple would release an update to their developer tools that would
> >> overwrite these Gnu Tools, thus rendering the Dylan tool chain
> >> unusable.
> >
> > Won't happen, as Apple stuff is in /usr/bin while stuff compiled by the
> > user goes into /usr/local/bin.
>
> This is good to know. Thanks for your patch and installation tips - I'll
> give it a go this week end.

Y're welcome.

I also like to not build all the crap that been included in the default
makefile.

If I'm doing a Mindy bootstrap -- I like to every so often to make sure
it works, and it takes abot 4.5 hours on the G4 (vs 24 hours on my
G3/266 PowerBook) -- then I use:

  cd src
  ./autogen.sh --enable-mindy-bootstrap --enable-duim=no --disable-shared

After that's done I rebuild d2c using the new d2c by using:

  cd src
  ./autogen.sh --disable-mindy --enable-duim=no --disable-shared
  cd d2c
  make
  cd ../test
  make

This saves building the "tools", "common", "duim" and "platform"
directories every time I play with the compiler.

Actually, Rob's carbon stuff in "platform" doesn't seem to compile for
me, due to a conflict between the definition of "bool" used by Carbon
and d2c (d2c uses char, Carbon uses int).  I'm not yet doing Carbon
programming using d2c so I haven't worried about this...

How do you resolve this, Rob?

-- Bruce