[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Status of Dylan on MacOS X

In article <bruce-14E1A0.12593220102001@news.paradise.net.nz>, Bruce
Hoult <bruce@hoult.org> wrote:

> > It hasn't been tested on 10.1 yet to the best of my knowledge
>
> I did a Mindy bootstrap using 10.1 on a virgin G4/867 here yesterday.
> (4.5 hours, which is a tad slower than my Athlon 700 with Linux --
> mostly I think because Apple's gcc is really slow)

Whoops!

Just did a Mindy bootstrap on the Athlon 700 from the latest sources.
It took 5.5 hours, so it's 22% slower than the G4.  Which happens to be
almost exactly in line with the clock speed ratios.

The Athlon is definitely faster for small compiles, though, at 9 seconds
to compile "hello world", vs 11.5 for the G4.

I'm pretty sure it's in the C compiler speed, as the G4 takes 7.2
seconds in d2c itself, and then another 4.3 seconds in the C compiler
and linker.

A year or so ago I was using a G4/400 with LinuxPPC and it took around
12 seconds for HelloWorld -- and d2c was slower then.

-- Bruce