[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reducing exe size?

On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 12:00 PM, Robert Feldt wrote:

> This got me thinking: You don't consider Dylan suitable for scripting
> tasks like fiddling with libraries and files etc a la Perl et al?

d2c is a full-blown compiler which means  it's not so suitable for
scripting. I have written utilities using it, but the compile-build-test
cycle is longer than I would have liked. :-) The Marlais Dylan
interpreter should better for this sort of thing.

> Could you give me some pointers to the functions/libraries relevant for
> listing the files in a dir and copying and renaming files?

You need the file-system and streams libraries in /gd/src/common .
"common" in this case means "common to mindy and d2c", rather than
"Common Dylan", but d2c's streams are the same as Fun-Dev's, and you can
use the Fun Dev documentation for them (this is true of many libraries
in Gwydion Dylan).

> Just want to
> try it out and couldn't find simple example programs on the web.

Try the examples in /gd/src/demos in the Gwydion cvs. There are useful
demos with the Fun-Dev (open) sources as well, available from the Fun-O
website.

- Rob.

--
"The idea behind Dylan—to offer a range of dynamism appropriate to each
piece of an application—feels right, and after using Dylan you will