Re: So, what the heck is a continuation anyway?

[Diplomatic as always :-)]

  MF> Careful, you don't want to crash as often as Stackless Python.

  MF> Unless you heap allocate all values, copying the stack naively
  MF> will be a problem.

Does Stackless Python crash often?  And because of stack allocated
values?  I haven't used it much, but know of some uses in commercial
settings that wouldn't seem to tolerate frequent crashes.  Nor was I
aware that it did anything like copying the C stack.

Regular Python heap allocates all of its objects, including stack
frames.  The problems posed by the implementation of standard Python
are (1) that it makes a C function call for each Python function call
anyway and (2) that frames don't store enough information to be
resumed multiple times.  The solution, as I understood it, was to
eliminate the C call for each Python call and make sure all the right
information was stored in Python frames.

Jeremy