So, what the heck is a continuation anyway?

Okay, so here's where I get to air my ignorance in public.

I've been working on the design of the Parrot VM and it's pretty well
nailed down. All the stuff I need done (good method dispatch, attributes,
coroutines, continuations, threads, I/O, GC, language-independent calling
conventions, higher-order functions) is at least sketched out. Devil's in
the details, of course, but at least there are spots for the details to go.
Someone's even started in on a JIT for the thing. (x86 only for the moment,
but...)

The final issue is continuations.

I'm not sure I need to support 'em. Perl, python, and ruby don't use them
to the best of my knowledge, and I've been told that Scheme doesn't require
them, but I'd like to build support in from the beginning, as I expect
it'll be rather a pain to add it in later. Unfortunately I don't understand
the things at all--I can't wrap my brain around any of the explanations
I've seen.

Could someone give me an explanation of them? (Preferably in words of three
syllables or less, geared towards an inveterate assembly language
programmer? :)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk