Re: So, what the heck is a continuation anyway?

  > From: Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
  > Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:58:00 -0600
  > Cc: ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu
  >
  > : Unless you heap allocate all values, copying the stack naively
  > : will be a problem.
  >
  > This suggests a question, which may be of interest to many list
  > members: Is there some good academic work on how to use
  > garbage-collected heap activation frames

Pls check out Andrew Appel's SML of New Jersey compiler. He documented the
compiler in a book called "compiling with continuations." It's a bit dated.

Notice that "continuation" in his book title is different from the one the
list is discussing right now.

  > without an enormous
  > performance penalty on commodity CPUs?

Hmph, SML runs on non-float stuff pretty much as fast as C (so he claims).
Is that good enough? I don't know. They are trying to do better.

-- Matthias