RE: What design is: 911 vs. Fleetwood

Let's see if I follow you.  In Windows, MSFT has created a
great product that makes people happy today?

Maybe what you mean to say is that design is not the only
thing that can cause something to be a commercial success.
I would not dispute that.  MSFT (and many companies before
them) show that a sufficiently crafty and ruthless company
can shove bad design down the market's throat.  But we
weren't talking about business strategy.  We were taking
about design.

Your examples suggest that you misunderstood what I meant
about designing to please yourself.  I didn't mean designing
literally for your own use.  I meant designing according to
your own ideas of good design.  Henry Ford was in fact one
of the most notorious examples of this.  "Any color you
want, so long as it's black."

--pg