RE: What is a lightweight language

Bruce Lewis wrote:
> Shriram showed a slide with a Scheme function definition.  He followed
> it with a slide of the same code, but with an XML-like syntax instead of
> s-exprs.  There was some clever wording on each slide (wish I could
> remember exactly) alluding to the supposed superiority of the XML
> syntax, when everyone could see that the s-expr version was more
> readable.

LL1 proceedings, including Shriram's slides, are here:
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/dynlangs/ll1/agenda.html

The first slide went:

Stupid Parenthetical Syntax

(automaton see0
  (see0 (0 -> see1))
  (see1 (1 -> see0)))

is clearly ugly, evil, and an insidious plot
  hatched by misbegotten academics

The second slide:

Smart Parenthetical Syntax

<automaton see0