Re: C#

   Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:42:19 -0500
   From: "McLagan, Doug" <mclagand@citi.com>

   Thanks for the response.  Since posting the question, I've read a later
   column where he seems to get a lot more technical:

Regarding the portability issue, I'd say he pretty much conceded and
greatly toned down his conclusinos, although he didn't write in an
apologetic tone.

Regarding performance of Java versus C#, he also backs way off:

   Whether C# will beat Java (or more precisely whether C#'s compiled
   version beat Java's compiled "bytecode") remains to be seen.

He goes on to say that he thinks C# could be faster precisely beause
it doesn't have to be portable (a claim that I think is pretty
dubious), but he ends with "So I'd bet C# will be faster, but for now
that's just a bet."  A very wesk statement compared to what he
said initially.

He throws in "When Quake 4 comes out in Java, let me know."  And when
it comes out in C#, I hope Cringely will let us know.

Has anyone on this list tried one of the "batch" "static" "whole
application to machine lanaguage" Java compilers?