Re: .NET CLR? was no subject

Eric Kidd [mailto:eric.kidd@pobox.com] wrote:

> The 'tail.' instruction prefix is *seriously* nice, especially for LISP
> and Scheme hackers.  On the downside, you pretty much have to live with
> a standard stack frame, which makes it harder to implement multiple
> values cleanly.

This reminds me: can GCC be forced to make a tail call? gcc 3.0 has
some pretty good support for cross-function tail calls, and I was
wondering if there were either any GNU C extensions to force a tail
call, or if there was some other gcc-supported language that had
that.

It would be really pleasant to be able to generate C in the obvious
style, with no trampolines or stack-munging tricks.

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@cswcasa.com