Re: Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming) of programming languages

It isn't clear to me from your web page, how score is computed.
It looks like it's related to the number of characters, or tokens.

I think token's is better than characters, but i think counting lines is
better than counting tokens.  This would let "puts("Hello World") and
"System.out.println("Hellow World");"
to have the same score, of 1.

More verbose languages will take more lines eventually.

There are conventions that take more lines than others.  For example, in
Java, i don't mind writing the obvious getter and setter methods on one
line, while others right them in 3 or 4, of what i'd call "airy" lines.  I
prefer to see as much code in an Emacs buffer as i can.

Comparing Java to Jython, if you don't count lines in Java that only
contain "}" and white space, you'll move Java closer to Jython, but Jython
has other ways to be compact.

Your nice compiling example is compact for several reasons.  One is nice
library support like .sub() and system().  Perhaps we assume that a
comparable library exist in another language.

A nice test might be to build library for building applications.  I have
one in Jscheme that can build a java application in about 50 lines of code.
Here is a version of you see compiling example that Tim Hickey and i came
up with:

(define (needsRecompile f o)
   (if (or (not (.exists o)) (<= (.lastModified o) (.lastModified f)))

(define (isCfile f) (.endsWith (.getName f) ".c"))

(define (// text pattern replace)
   (.replaceFirst (.matcher (Pattern.compile pattern) (.toString text))
                 replace))

(define (deep-cc dir)
   (for-each
    (lambda (c)
      (let ((o (File. (// c ".c$" ".o"))))
        (if (needsRecompile c o)
            (begin (display {compiling [c] to [o]\n})
                   (system {cc -c [c] -o [o]})))))
    (filesBelow dir isCFile)))