From: Paul Graham [mailto:pg@archub.org]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 4:07 PM
To: ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Macros Make Me Mad

I agree entirely with your premises.  Macros are language
constructs, and as such have to be held to higher standards.
I don't see how your conclusion follows from this-- that
macros will yield more problems than benefits.

What about all the stuff in Lisp that's already implemented
as macros, for example?  Are you saying it's a lose to have
these operators?  Probably not.  So why is it bad to write more?

I think the root of your mistake is saying that macros
don't scale to larger groups.  The real truth is that
macros don't scale to stupider groups.  A group of one
idiot can easily render his code unreadable with badly
designed macros.  Whereas a group of smart programmers,
however large, will be able to use macros in safe ways
that yield net wins.  E.g. by doing bottom-up programming.

To adapt Mike Vanier's LFSP, macros are simply an FFSP.
Macros would only be bad if there were no programmers
S enough to use them safely.   That one I can answer from
experience.  I probably know 50 Lisp hackers personally
that I would trust to write macros.

Ergo macros are not a bad feature.  At worst they are
a high-end niche feature.  And that kind of feature is
in fact especially interesting to companies in competitive
situations, as I tried to show in Revenge of the Nerds.

--pg