RE: Macros Make Me Mad

--- Todd Proebsting <toddpro@microsoft.com> wrote:

> While it would be wonderful to have a large team of such talented
> individuals over a long period of time, it has been my experience
> that
> groups tend, over time, towards mediocrity or worse no matter how
> good
> they started out.  Again, not a technical argument, but definitely an
> observation that concerns me.  For this reason, it makes perfect
> sense
> for many---possibly most---projects to avoid [Macros] like the
plague.

I agree with your premise but not your conclusion. Intellectual entropy
does increase over time. However, I suggest that dumbing down the tools
won't save the project any more than bringing in the latest and
greatest buzzword-compliant application server.

Some argue that code should be written to be read and maintained by
future generations of unmotivated and inexperienced 'seat warmers' who
follow.

This "LCD" thinking leads to projects that fail right out of the gate
because the design, tools, and code are insuffuicient to create a
robust solution in the alloted time frame.

Of course, if budgets are such that it doesn't matter what tools the
initial team uses, then simpler may be better over the long haul.

My experience, however, is that the pressure in organizations is to
deliver with smaller teams in impossibly constrained time frames. I
have never had the luxury of using less than the most powerful
methodologies and tools, although I have often been restrained by
others who valued buzzword compliance over productivity.

--
Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
work: <rlee@infobal.com> <www.infobal.com>

...writing about climbing is boring. I would rather go climbing.
 Chuck Pratt