Managers as a Solution? [was: Macros Make Me Mad]

--- Anton van Straaten <anton@appsolutions.com> was one of several
people who made similar points:

> So, if the reasons aren't technical, but more managerial (or
> whatever), then
> surely they can be managed managerially, with a little technical help
> from
> the language?

A problem I have with "managerial" or "process" solutions to mismatches
between a language and a team's abilities is that I don't trust
"heavyweight" development methodologies like managers.

In my personal (and small) experience, process and management cannot
compensate for developers who are not "engaged" int he project and
"invested" in its outcome.

I've had very positive results on real-world projects with smaller
teams using "agile" or "lightweight" methodologies. Vastly
oversimplifying, a lightweight methodology pushes responsibility
downwards to the programmer.

Okay, I'll stop handwaving and address macros and other "Features For
Smart People." In a lightweight development environment, there's a lot
of emphasis on clearly defined short term iterations to control risk.
Many methodologies de-emphasize documentation but emphasize acceptance
and unit tests.

If you have short iterations (like 7-10 calendar days) with hard core
adherence to automated testing of the code, you can accomodate your
'smart people' using high risk high leverage tools like Macros.

But I suggest you can also tolerate the rest of the team trying macros
out. If they shoot themselves in the foot, you find out right away.
It's not like they go away for a month and come back with unreadable
and unworkable code.

At the end of the day, what it amounts to is this: manage people by
results rather than tasks, and let them use the features they're
comfortable using. Then, don't trust anyone no matter how smart they
are: test everything.

p.s. Do a tranform on my .sig, replacing "Mountain" with "Macro" :-)

--
Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
work: <rlee@infobal.com> <www.infobal.com>

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."    —
Reinhold Messner