Re: Industry versus academia

> One thing that I've always hoped would happen (but hasn't yet) is that new,
> advanced languages would be able to do things that are not merely difficult
> or tedious in existing languages, but well-nigh impossible.  In that case,
> and assuming what they do is valuable to industry, I think industry types
> would rush to hire pointy-headed academics who know about monads and
> continuations etc., simply because that's the only way the job is going to
> get done.

Maybe it would be enough for an advanced language to do things that can be
done in other languages, but do them so much more quickly and provide
such a better solution in the end than would a conventional language that
the clear choice would be the advanced language.

I have read Paul Graham's essay on how Lisp enabled his company to produce
better online stores faster than anyone else could.  If there were more stories
like this, I think the industry would take notice that, although they could
do the same kinds of things with languages like C++, some other language
could make their programmers so much more productive that it would be insane
to do things "the old way."