Re: Y Store now C++

>>>>> "Sundar" == Sundar Narasimhan <sundar@ascent.com> writes:

Sundar> If you had a fiduciary responsibility to your shareholders will you
Sundar> base your business one one person who can get hit by a truck? I don't
Sundar> think of this as pointy-headed behavior at all. Perhaps I should just
Sundar> shut up about these sorts of reality issues -- it seems this list has
Sundar> ways to go before it grows up. :)

In a large project, being able to figure out the programming language
it's written in is usually one of the easier-to-solve problems for new
people.  (At least as long as that language is documented somewhere.)
So the notion that a programming language ties you to a single person
(or a very small group of people) is just ridiculous.

Given the way undergrads (or their parents) let job advertisement
dictate what languages they're interested in, I suspect that these
days you could go out and put up advertisements for just about any
language and find enough people who'll sign up.  Moreover, good
manangers usually know that the fact that someone knows Java or C++
doesn't really tell much at all about her/his qualifications as a
software developer.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike