Re: Y Store now C++

Even if you have to rewrite the software in another language
as part of selling the company, I'd still call that working.
But I don't believe this is often a substantial obstacle.
Companies buy startups because they're afraid their competitors
will.  If it looks like you're going to have the dominant
market share, acquirers can overlook nearly anything; and if
you don't, they don't want you at all.

To the extent there is any discomfort about the language
you used, you can often use the pointy-haired bosses' mistaken
ideas against them.  If they take as an axiom that "all
languages are equivalent," (if this is true, btw, we're all
wasting our time talking about language design on this list)
they'll easily believe  that it will be a trivial matter to
port your code to some more boss-friendly language, and that
the language your software is written in is thus no serious
barrier to acquisition.

I don't think I intentionally misled Yahoo (too much) on
this point, but if I did it was for their own good.  Many
of the aspects of Y Store they've been able to change
(the pricing, the test drive), they've messed up.  But
because they didn't dare touch the Editor itself, they
haven't been able to spoil it.  How many big companies can
say five years after acquiring software from a startup that
the software is just as good as it was under the startup?

--pg