Re: Y Store /Closures

At Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:39:22 +1000, "Steven Shaw" wrote:
> > Reliability and scalability, scalability and reliability, our two main
> > weapons are reliability,
> > scalability, and ruthless efficiency, our THREE main weapons... :-)
>
> Scalability has not had enough attention on this thread. To get scalability
> you want stateless servers. If we choose to implement our web applications
> with a continuation-based framework don't we immediately throw that out the
> window? Can you have your cake and eat it too?

I don't think so; Have a look at this paper, on this very topic. It is
only the first step to take the idea to a fully functioning tool for
building web apps, but it is promising.

  http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/#ase2001-gfkf

The basic idea is to use CPS plus a few other program transformations
to enable the web script to marshall the continuation into a hidden
field and send it across with the web page. Then, when the answer comes
back, you turn the data in the hidden field back into a continuation
and throw to it.

Robby