Re: Paul Graham's PyCon Keynote & The Programmer's Apprentice

"Christopher Barber" <cbarber@curl.com> wrote:
 >Of course, Moore's law will not hold.  The rate of doubling of the
 >amount of transisters you can fit on a chip has slowed since Moore's
 >original observation.  It is quite possible that the growth could hit
 >a brick wall at some point in the future. [...]

And on that note,

 ftp://ftp.cs.utexas.edu/pub/dburger/papers/ISCA00.pdf

   The doubling of microprocessor performance every three years has been
   the result of two factors: more transistors per chip and superlinear
   scaling of the processor clock with technology generation. Our
   results show that, due to both diminishing improvements in clock
   rates and poor wire scaling as semiconductor devices shrink, the
   achievable performance growth of conventional microarchitectures will
   slow substantially.

Whatever did happen with The Programmer's Apprentice?  I've seen the
name quite a bit, but never heard anything about it, results-wise.

Tommy McGuire
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mcguire/