RE: Hackers and Painters and Lawyers

> Peter,
>
> In the spirit of group support and mutual assistance we all provide each-other
> here, I was wondering if I could start pinging you with legal questions
> related to my nasty neighbor disputing my property line with
> him?  ;-)
>
> (Sorry -- we so rarely hear from outside experts, I just had
> to play the annoying party-guest.)
>
> -Brent

Brent,

    Only if you live in New York State. Lawyers are licensed on a state-by-state basis and we are only starting to see the emergence of the radical idea of having "regional packs" so that *gasp* a lawyer in one state could practice five miles away in a neighboring state.

    Hopefully the CS community won't move towards this sort of absurd licensing model, although it is probably just a matter of time before state legislatures discover this potential cash cow.

    But seriously, attorneys are even more specialized than software people and neighborhood disputes aren't my forte. These days all of my time is going into The Institute for End User Computing, Inc. and the development of a Plain English based End User programming language.

    My advice on the neighbor problem is to seek local legal counsel or just burry the hatchet to save yourselves a lot of money and aggravation!

Warmest Regards,

Peter

Peter J. Wasilko, Esq.
     J.D., LL.M.

Executive Director, The Institute for End User Computing, Inc.

Visit us on the web at: http://www.ieuc.org

Its time to abandon brittle architectures with poorly factored
interfaces, gratuitous complexity, and kludged designs dominated
by sacrifices on the altar of backwards compatibility.

Such artifacts are vulnerable to cyber-attack, weigh down the
economy costing trillions of dollars in lost productivity, and
suffer from an impoverished conceptual model that lacks the
integration and elegance needed to empower end users to
get the most from advanced applications in the future.

The Institute for End User Computing --- Pursuing Secure, Simple,
   Supple, & Sophisticated Systems to Unlock Our Human Potential

* The Institute is incorporated under New York State's
   Not-For-Profit Corporation Law