Re: Are any Interlisp-D machine docs online?

"Peter J. Wasilko, Esq." wrote:

> Are there any manuals or collections of screen shots from the Interlisp-d
> machines and their development environment that have been scanned in and
> mounted on the web?

Venue still sells Medley, the fused Interlisp-D/Common Lisp system:

http://top2bottom.net/venue.html

> Even better would be to find a legally sanctioned emulator that doesn't
> require hunting down physical memory units from the original hardware.
>
> In any case, I'd like to learn more about this vintage technology and have
> only seen tantalizing tid bits in contemporary Literature!

You can download Medley with an application in it called the LFG Grammar
Writer's Workbench.  The home page for the application is
http://www2.parc.com/istl/groups/nltt/medley/, and the software is
available from a link off it at ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/lfg/.
There is a license that says "for non-commercial use only".

Interlisp-D sysouts are byte-coded image files that can run straight-up
on D-machines, or be interpreted by an emulator on modern hardware.  The
workbench above is distributed as a sysout, and emulators are available
at the website for linux/x86, solaris/sparc, alpha, sgi, etc.  The
emulator in linux/intel ran for me on RedHat 7.1, though the meta key
didn't work - probably some screwball X keymap thing.

To get a flavor of how it all works, right-button in the background and
select EXEC/Xerox Common Lisp to get an XCL listener.  Type your
favorite small CL function into it, then type 'ed(name-of-function)' to
get an SEdit window.  Middle-button in the title bar of that window gets
you the SEdit command menu.

	- Bob Bane