Re: Continuations

At 5:03 PM +0000 8/11/03, Paul Graham wrote:
>We had multiple servers.  (Yahoo Store now has over 100.)
>We just had users talk to a single server for the duration
>of their login session.  --pg

Unless you had a way of "persisting" the continuation state,
this just doesn't meet my definition of a "high availability"
web server architecture.  Did you do anything more sophisticated
to keep people from losing if, e.g., a server went down?

I personally don't see why a continuation, with its implicitly
captured state, is superior to having a session object that
explicitly captures the state.  The HotDispatch web site (also
written in Lisp, BTW) that I worked had very complex workflow,
and we found that objects worked just fine, and also worked
correctly in the face of load-balancing and crashed servers.