Re: Vectors as functions

> To correct something I've repeatedly seen mentioned in this thread:
>
> [These freedoms] make it hard to optimize also make it hard for
> tools to reason about programs.
>
> Shriram

    These are valuable abilities, but why not let the programmer decide
when to break optimization-compatibility, etc., when he judges the
power of the language feature provides a greater benefit than cost?

    I don't think it's a case of "correcting" attitudes, I think you'll
always encounter a subgroup that believes a lot of freedom is a good
thing.  It's really a question of two different points of view that
are both correct, I think.  (I'm not sure they can't be accomodated in
the same language...)