[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Comments Requested on SML-based "Graphics" Little Language
- To: <address@hidden>
- Subject: Comments Requested on SML-based "Graphics" Little Language
- From: "Brent Fulgham" <address@hidden>
- Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:40:56 -0800
- Sender: address@hidden
- Thread-index: AcPDQ1vBv3ydF02cQWKKup/W/zpXUA==
- Thread-topic: Comments Requested on SML-based "Graphics" Little Language
Johnny Andersen has been conducting a one-man mission to convince graphics programmers to use functional programming in their work. To my knowledge, he is the only person currently using SML (or really any functional language) in professional graphics development.
In partial completion of his Bachelor's degree, he has devised an SML97-based DSL for creating 3D graphics programs.
The language includes a few new ideas:
* Various SML extensions to support more polymorphic behavior (composable type restrictions, mutable record elements)
* The "Fieldcase" construct, for branching a program based on the presence of an optional field in a structure
* Optional type arguments
I thought this would be right up the LL list's alley, and perhaps some useful comments could be directed his way.
The specification is available in PS/PDF format from: