Re: <index-out-of-bounds-error>

On Tue, 2002-01-01 at 19:15, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> Yes, but how will a program know how to classify/interpret that?  Your
> earlier remarks:
>
>    with an appropriate message/format string and arguments
>
> suggested that it was basically a human-readable format.

Yes, I wouldn't muck around with the format arguments either.  We might
change the order of arguments in the message. ;-)

> > As it's an open project, anyone is welcome to implement such a heirarchy
> > if they feel a need for it.  They can even copy what Functional
> > Developer does, if they want.  Which would then mean we could call it a
> > standard :-)   (or persuade them to change if they did something silly)
>
> It doesn't sound like what FD does is very interesting in this regard
> either, since they apparently they don't export the relevant error types.

Actually, if the private FD classes look reasonable, it would be best to
implement identical public classes in Gwydion.  That way, when and if we
standardize those classes, the FD people will just need to export them
from an appropriate library, and they're done.

If GD implements incompatible error classes, it will be much harder for
us to standardize this functionality.

Insofar as GD has an official policy in these matters, we prefer to
reimplement FD APIs, which tend to be well designed.

Cheers,
Eric
(currently inactive GD volunteer)