Re: Fun-O Out of Business?

In article <bruce-B75E74.14053819092002@copper.ipg.tsnz.net>, Bruce Hoult
<bruce@hoult.org> wrote:

> In article <gat-1809021510540001@k-137-79-50-101.jpl.nasa.gov>,
>  gat@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) wrote:
>
> > > the problem is that our hosting service redid their server without
> > > php which is a big problem seeing how our whole ecommerce machinery is
> > > based on php.  the last piece is that our hosting service doesn't
> > > respond to our requests to reinstall php.  we're working on it
> > > .. slowly.  apologies for inconveniences.
> > >
> > > jonathan bachrach
> >
> > I am disappointed to learn that your ecommerce machinery is written in PHP
> > and not Dylan.  It makes me wonder if you really believe in your own
> > product.
>
> Don't you think that's a bit harsh?

No.

>  Surely you don't think that
> Functional-Developer *can't* be used for web work?

<shrug> Of course it *can*.  What I'm wondering is whether it's
advantageous to do so.  Apparently its creators don't think so.

> Fun-O isn't a big enough operation for it to be worth the hassle of
> getting in a T1 and running their own web server, so they can and should
> use the best deal they can find.  According to netcraft.com, their site
> is hosted at JumpLine who provide Apache/Perl/PHP etc on Linux.

I don't buy this.  The internet boom is over.  Paying customers (even ones
who don't pay very much) are in the driver's seat.  It is inconceivable
that they could not find an ISP who would let them install cgi-bins in
Dylan if they chose to.

>  As
> Functional-Developer is a Windows product, they couldn't use it for the
> ecommerce stuff even if they wanted to.

Huh?  That does not compute.  You can't do ecommerce in Windows?  That
would be news to a lot of people.

E.