Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

Alistair Maclean <alistair@ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
iXpZEjA3Bi49EwIn@ld50macca.demon.co.uk">news:iXpZEjA3Bi49EwIn@ld50macca.demon.co.uk...
> In article <b3638c46.0211250239.38efb1d3@posting.google.com>, Peter E.
> C. Dashwood <dashwood@enternet.co.nz> writes
> >Agreed. It has been doing so since Chaucer's time. I guess what
> >saddens me is the fact that it is not being taught properly and we see
> >the result in our everyday correspondence.
>
> I wan't taught proper at school either. I was taught French grammar but
> not English grammar. Just checked the spelling of Grammar (it's ok). My
> OED doesn't list Grammer.

I think you'll find she's your Father or Mother's Mother...<G>

> > There was a recent poll
> >here in the UK (in fact, the final was last night) to find the
> >Greatest Briton.
>
> Got it on the video. I'm glad that Winnie won. Shame that the rest were
> (with the exception of Ollie Cromwell) charlatans, ne'er do wells or
> born/married to their greatness.

Perhaps a little hard on Nelson, Darwin, Brunel, and Newton, don't you
think, Alistair? (Agree about Diana, Elizabeth the First (although you have
to admire her courage), and John Lennon (admire his ideals but still
basically a ne'er-do-well <G>). Of course they missed the real British
heroes who are loved by millions, Sooty, Basil Brush, TeleTubbies, Bob the
Builder, Postman Pat, and Mr Blobby...

> > Shakespeare made it to the top 10 but it was
> >painfully apparent in the debates that most kids are not being exposed
> >to him, or, if they are, they are not being helped to appreciate the
> >beauty and timelessness of his writing.
>
> I was tortured at school by having to do Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of
> Venice, MacBeth (a clansman of mine) and Two Gentlemen From Verona. I
> plan on self-abusing myself by doing Hamlet sometime, just so that I can
> see how Guildenstern and Rosencrantz fit in. BTW, I love MacBeth, even
> though the story is an English propaganda exercise (should that be
> exercize?).

There is little opportunity for self abuse in Hamlet. Ophelia is a mournful
cow who ends up drowning herself (not in the least erotic). I saw Diana Rigg
naked as Lady MacBeth many years ago on the West End stage and the image
haunts me to this day. (For those of you who get re-runs of the original
Avengers with Steed and Mrs Peel, she was Mrs Peel...I can assure you she
was even more devastating without the leather outfit than she was with
it...<G>) I believe that Nicole Kidman did the same role recently (but I
might be confusing that with the Blue Room). Anyway, for my money, Lady
MacBeth is the sexiest role in Shakespeare...

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are inserted into Hamlet for no apperent reason
other than to make Hamlet look smart when juxtaposed against their
stupidity...<G>

Pete.

                http://www.usenet.com