Re: Have you always dreamed of become a high payed consultant?

Peter E. C. Dashwood wrote:

> Er... I recall the last line as:
> "And Wilderness were Paradise enow..." ("enow" being a poetic form of
> "enough")
>
> As you can see, it changes the meaning subtly... (Could be differences in
> various translations; I know the Fitzgerald one is the most popular.)

Fitzgerald translation is as I quoted it.  You mentioned you
had a translation from someone else, as you say,
translation/interpretation deptends on the translator.

>>My personal favorite is this:
>>
>>Today is thine to spend, but not tomorrow,
>>Counting on 'morrows breedeth naught but sorrow;
>>Oh! Squander not this breath that Heaven hath lent thee,
>>Nor make too sure another breath to borrow!
>>   (Stanza XVIII - Whinfield Version)
>>

> Yeah, that's a great one... didn't have it in my memory but will from now
> on...<G>

Kind of brings things into focus, doesn't it.

> My father's favourite (he died in 1957 and introduced me to Omar Khyaam when
> I was eight) was:
>
> "Passing by the Marketplace one day
>  I saw a potter
>  Thumping his wet clay.
>  And with its all obliterated tongue
>  It murmured "Gently Brother, gently pray..." "
>

>>However, when it comes to programming by imperfect
>>programmers, one can only hope that the manager remembers
>>that "Mercy was made for sinners" (Stanza XXVII, Whinfield
>>Version).
>>
>>All my programs are not works of poetry, but I try! :)
>>

> It is my belief that anyone who appreciates poetry is capable of writing
> great COBOL...but of course, I can't prove it...<G>
>
> Pete.

I'd be glad to prove it.  If you are ever in a situation
where you need another COBOL programmer I'm sure I can be
available (did you say you were over in England?)  I have
20+ years experience - IBM mainframe mostly, with some
MicroFocus & RM COBOL.  I'd be willing to travel.  I almost
got an assignment in Edinburgh but mad cow / hoof in mouth /
or something caused it to fall through.  Bummer. :(

A love of poetry got me through high school.  With Hamlet
and MacBeth causing me to be willing to actually attend
instead of dropping out, heading to Woodstock and becoming a
Hippie. (I was in High School in the late 60's.)  <GM> [as
in "Groovie Man"] ;)