Re: ARC

Dylan has some good qualities, and I'm sure Arc will end
up doing many things the same way (ditto for CL and Scheme).

My main gripe with Dylan is the pervasive object-orientedness.
I would rather have simpler ideas at the core of the language,
and let people build fancy OO systems as libraries.

As for syntax, we do plan to have it as an option in Arc,
but as a way to abbreviate s-expressions, not to appeal
to the programmers of the world.  (There are enough
languages designed for them already.)

I agree with you about development enviroments.  My personal
favorite is vi + load.

There will be lots of libraries of course, esp.for things
useful to Web-based apps.

--pg