Re: Scheme vs. Python

--- Bruce Lewis <brlewis@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> How much more heavyweight did Python become when Jython was created?

Only a little-- now I have to worry about my Python code running on
Jython and maybe breaking, but I don't know of a large Jython installed
base, so I'm probably safe.  I can type "python" at the command prompt
in almost any OS and get the same Python prompt (for Win32 you have to
install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com) first).

> Could I undermine the lightweight experience you're having with
> Python by creating my own variant?

Yes.  The spread of incompatible/inferior JVM's hurt Java
significantly.  If you actually made it so "python" ran different
programs on different machines (e.g. if you distributed a balkanized
python with your operating system).

=====
Morgan McGuire
morgan3d@yahoo.com