what is the problem?

One could look at each language as an attempt to solve a particular problem.
I've listed a few below, and probably got some wrong.  It would not be hard
make a satirical version as well (see each language as an attempt to
*create*
a particular problem).

C:
	Assembly language is too hard; we need something on a higher level.

C++:
	C is not object oriented.

Java:
	C/C++ have complicated and dangerous elements, and their executibles
	aren't portable.

Lua:
	An embedded language should be as small as possible.

Prolog:
	There should be a way to program logical relations.

Lisp:
	We could make a language out of McCarthy's notes.

Scheme:
	Lisp is too big and too complicated.  We need something purer.

Perl:
	Shell scripts/awk/sed are inadequate.

PHP:
	There should be a language made *for* web programming.

Python:
	Perl could be a hell of a lot simpler.

Tcl:
	There are pieces in various languages that need to work together.
	We need some kind of glue that will do that.

Tk:
	We need an easy/portable way to build GUIs.

Kevin Kelleher