Re: Java

   Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:59:02 -0800 (PST)
   From: Morgan McGuire <morgan3d@yahoo.com>

   > P2: When Java developers get a chance to write about this stuff they
   > relate it to "function pointers" of C/C++ (is this always 1?).  See
   > for example:
   > http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2001/tt1106.html

   Well, they didn't all go to MIT, Rice, and Yale I guess.

James Gosling, generally considered the primary designer of Java, had
previous been well-known for his Emacs-family editor (known, at least
in circles I was in, as "Gosling Emacs), which was based on a dialect
of Lisp.  The original Java team (the "Firstperson" group) included
additional people who knew a lot about Lisp.  One may disagree with
the design decisions in Java but I don't think it's fair or accurate
to ascribe them to ignorance on the part of the designers.