Re: Functional Paradigm popularity and Maths (Was: XML as a transitionto s-expr)

So, who is programming in VB and Delphi and who is using that software?
Who is writing all the code that runs in corporate america?

More to the point, are ALL/MOST the people contributing source to
Mozilla really that saavy?

Is that true of most open source projects?  How much of the code in
linux, emacs, apache, fetchmail, was written by developers who knew a lot
about formal methods?

What about all the random cgi/servlets that people run on millions of
websites?

Two general points:
1. most software maintenance is done by less saavy programmers.  Even if
   the original kernel of the software was written by someone brilliant,
   it is usually maintained by lesser lights.

   For example, I've heard that the guy who wrote Yahoo Shopping is pretty
   bright.  If he is as bright as they say, it would be hard to believe
   that the people who maintain it now are up to his level.  If they are,
   what are they doing just maintaining Yahoo Shopping?

2. most "retail" programming is also done by less saavy programmers. If
   they were more saavy they would be writing the next Yahoo Shopping.
   Instead they develop domain expertise to devote to large numbers of
   small projects (corporate apps, web sites, etc).

Really saavy developers make their own languages and tools and control
their own development environment.  Less saavy developers use what they
can.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson			i2x Media
1-917-783-0889 voice			1-212-697-1427 fax