Re: Language documentation

> I know of no other single language where text file munging is described
> in the first five chapters of the manual.

I probably don't either, but there is a nice online book (though it's
unfinished) called "How to Use Scheme". (http://www.htus.org/)  It's
certainly not a language manual, but, the first few chapters address
exactly the kinds of things Kevin and many other users are after
(things that are often hard to pick up from an index of a language
reference):

Chapter 1: File Input and Output (including some XML io and parsing)

Chapter 2: Ports

Chapter 3: Regular Expressions

Chapter 4: Shell Scripts

etc.

> * Tutorials, HOWTOs and domain-specific documentation can bridge
>  the gap between examples and reference manuals.

totally.

Rob