RE: Y Store /Closures

We try to limit server round-trips because we found this to be a performance problem on heavily-loaded systems.  Did you find this to provide good performance?

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Marc Battyani [mailto:marc.battyani@fractalconcept.com]
	Sent: Sat 3/1/2003 9:18 AM
	To: Daniel Weinreb; Christopher Barber
	Cc: Sundar Narasimhan; mvanier@cs.caltech.edu; eli.rosenberg@verizon.net; ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu
	Subject: Re: Y Store /Closures

	Daniel Weinreb wrote
	> Christopher Barber wrote
	>
	> >What is the difference between a Web app vs other apps?
	>
	> I am not entirely sure that I have been following all of this, since I
	> have never
	> written presentation-tier web apps stuff myself, but I presume that the
	> interesting issue here is the need for coroutining that comes up because
	of
	> the structure of the way HTTP interactions and web browsers work.  Each
	> click on a browser button invokes a little subroutine, which runs and
	> returns
	> a result, which the user at the browser sees as the next page.  But from
	the
	> point of view of writing the application, it is inconvenient (sometimes
	> to the
	> point of being utterly unacceptable) to have everything be "event-driven"
	> in this way. There is state to be maintained between one click and the
	> next, and you sometimes want that state to be expressed as "control state"
	> (i.e. in the "PC" and the "stack", to use the "vulgar" terms) rather than
	as
	> state stored away in variables or files or databases.  Hence the interest
	> in continuations.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

	What you call event-driven here looks more like submit-driven to me.
	IMO event driven is more fine grained than this. I fire events to the server
	on slots modification so that I can control more precisely what the user
	does. In this case continuations don't apply.

	I am the only one here to do such kind of web applications ?

	Marc