Re: Dynamic reflection

Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 01:07:17PM +0300, Lauri Alanko wrote:
>
>>I still am not aware of any system that supports anything that I'd call
>>"real" statically typed eval.
>
> Many languages in the PS-Algol family (scottish languages for
> orthogonally persistent systems) have such statically typed eval.
> Granted, for those I saw, they eval'ed source strings,
> which is not as satisfying as eval of SEXP,
> but that's a good start.
>
> Interactive Oberon systems also have the ability to dynamically compile code;
> I don't know if they have standardized a structured source representation.
>
> I admit I don't know whether these systems cope with type redefinition,
> and how they do if they do.

It wasn't possible to redefine types in Oberon but you could manually
unload a module. However, you didn't have any safety precautions - you
weren't even able to find out whether there were active references to
the module you wanted to unload or not.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza@web.de        Institute of Computer Science III